Tuesday 24 November 2015

'I Am Leo' Transgender Documentary Wins BAFTA


'I Am Leo', a documentary made for British children's channel CBBC, received a children's BAFTA in the Factual category.

'I Am Leo' focuses on the Leo, a young transgender boy, aged 13 at the time of filming, as he goes about his daily life, meets with his friends and a twenty year old trans woman named Natalie, as well as the Stephen Whittle, a member of the Press for Change advocacy group.

The documentary won out over other nominees, 'Mr Alzheimers and Me', Being Me: A Newsround Special' and 'Operation Ouch!'.

Leo went on to say, 'I want to thank everyone who nominated I Am Leo for this award, and everyone involved in making it a success.  I'm really proud to have been given the opportunity to make so many people proud by telling my story, and being able to tell it my way.'

'I would like to say a massive thank you to Nine Lives Media, and especially to Cat [Lewis] for giving me the opportunity.  To Phil [Niland] and Lyndsay [Rowan], who I spent much time with, for their support and encouragement, and keeping motivated throughout the months of filming.'

'I would like to thank my mum for believing in me, staying positive and being beside me throughout my journey.'

Leo has said that he is glad that his story is out and that it has helped other people, saying that a lot of young transgender people have contacted him for help, advice and guidance.

Amy.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment