Monday 29 December 2014

A Look Back At 2014



2014 has been a really good year for me in a lot of ways, not least of all for my work here on my blog but other internet endeavours too, with my appointment as a journalist at the great PlanetTransgender, and my subsequent promotion to Editor.

Trans Girl Writer hasn't been forgotten though, with the site having received a staggering 28,000 hits since the start of the year!

I have to thank all of you for your support this year, for coming here and reading my posts and sharing them with others.  I'm hoping that this is a sign of things to come and that together we can help push the site on to greater heights.

To celebrate the huge readership over the last year let's take a look back at some of my most popular posts from the last twelve months and offer you all the chance to read them again or catch ones you might have missed the first time around.



The Facebook Name Debate and Having my Profile Deleted



One of the biggest stories of the year, not just for myself but in general, concerned the storm that social media giant Facebook caused after blocking hundreds of profiles for not using their 'real name', a policy that caused particular problems for the transgender community.




Hey, Who Hasn't Done It?


Earlier in the year there was a slight scandal as several celebrities including mega-star Jennifer Lawrence had private photographs released.  In this piece I address not the leak itself, or even if people are right or wrong by looking at these celebrities nude photos, but why people act differently when it's celebrities, when I'm sure that a lot of people have done the same themselves.




Cisphobia is Perfectly Natural


Canadian writer, creative director, actor, co-founder of Vice and general prick Gavin McInnes published an article called 'Transphobia is Perfectly Natural' in which he openly attacked transgender people and encouraged his readers to do the same.  Luckily this article got him fired as Chief Creative Officer of Rooster.  Here was my little rant on the subject.




Being Questioned For My Meds


Not everything I wrote was about other people, here I tell a story of how I went to the pharmacist to pick up my hormone pills and was rudely questioned about them and if I should be taking them.  Sadly this was not the last time it had happened to me, having now had it happen twice more.




First Time Out As Amy


Like I said, this was a big year for me, and here I write about one of my biggest hurdles, going out in public as the real me for the very first time.




Thank You For Outing Me


At the start of the year I faced one of the most frightening moments I've ever been through, someone at work found out that I was transgender and chose to share it with everyone.  At the time I wanted to run away and hide and never go back.  Then I saw Ellen Page's beautiful and moving speech as she came out at gay and knew that I could find the kind of strength she showed and face what was waiting for me.  This is what happened to me.




Some good articles right?  These are by no means the only good things I've written this year, but these were the most popular articles.  

Thanks to everyone for helping and supporting me this last year.  You guys rock.

Amy.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment